Why Are We So Egotistical?

• Posts 246

fireme created the topic: Why Are We So Egotistical?

All the discoveries that have been made regarding cultures and civilizations form thousands of years ago show us many examples of cultures who were very smart. They were able to do things and make things that we cannot, with all of our technology, with tools and methods that we term "uncivilized". That term feeds our ego's into believing that we are better than they were on all counts and, because of that, we don't need to learn from them. We just keep all that information on a museum level.

Why? Why do we do this? Why are we so convinced that there is nothing to learn from the past?

• Posts 138

Zara replied the topic: Why Are We So Egotistical?

I hear you. I was watching Ancient Aliens the other day, and the same question popped up in my mind. It seems that when confronted with that major truth we as humans prefer to hide our heads in the sand and pretend it's not true. How sad, especially when you think of the vast knowledge that we stand to gain from understanding these things.

• Posts 211

Snowy replied the topic: Why Are We So Egotistical?

Maybe it's that we're ashamed of ourselves on some level. Like you said, we have all this technology and we're supposed to be so smart, but ancient civilizations with nothing at their disposal except their brains accomplished so much. Humans are egotistical by nature, so perhaps we're a bit embarrassed.

• Posts 184

marcus replied the topic: Why Are We So Egotistical?

There is a lot to learn from the past, and any forward-thinking person in the 'modern age' must know better than to assume that we can draw nothing from the past. I have nothing but respect for those who came before us.

• Posts 138

Zara replied the topic: Why Are We So Egotistical?

:lol: that is so funny - maybe we're embarrassed! That could very well be true. I think you're all right that it does have something to do with the fact that we feel less than we are when we acknowledge that the people before us knew more than we do.