Do You Think Skyscrapers will Stop Getting Taller?

• Posts 19

Dunlop created the topic: Do You Think Skyscrapers will Stop Getting Taller?

Over the decades, skyscrapers have been getting taller and taller. There are structures in Dubai that boggle the imagination. How far do you think architects and engineers can go before there is a danger of these buildings toppling over, or not?

• Posts 224

Perplexed replied the topic: Do You Think Skyscrapers will Stop Getting Taller?

I think engineers and architects will build buildings as tall as feasible that the possibilities under The Law of Physics will allow their talents. Man is always trying to outdo Himself. It stands to reason that the competitive nature of professionals will lend itself to the acquisition of more and more bigger and better structures.

• Posts 87

nick replied the topic: Do You Think Skyscrapers will Stop Getting Taller?

I think there'll come a time when these structures will reach their optimum height. It is true that man is always trying to outdo himself but let's see how far the laws of physics will allow this to go. I particularly fear heights though.

• Posts 242

fireme replied the topic: Do You Think Skyscrapers will Stop Getting Taller?

The sky is the limit. B)

You have the laws of physics, but you also have the laws of nature. When visiting teams go to Denver CO. to play football, you always see them with oxygen masks on the sidelines. They don't call Denver the mile high city for no reason. The higher in altitude you go, the thinner the air gets. I think the tallest building in the world, in Dubai, is just shy of 1 km tall, so I'm sure the air system inside the building is having to compensate for the lack of air outside the building.

And don't look for windows that open.....you won't find them there.

• Posts 85

CammieZ replied the topic: Do You Think Skyscrapers will Stop Getting Taller?

I would think that the engineers would make only safe buildings. I, for one wouldn't want to be in a really tall building. The sky is the limit though... that is true!

• Posts 138

Zara replied the topic: Do You Think Skyscrapers will Stop Getting Taller?

There are three major factors that affect how tall a skyscraper can be. These are the budget (obviously) and elevators and maximum wind speeds at particular altitudes. Having said that, I personally think we will be stopped at somewhere around 100 km (62 miles)

• Posts 175

JoJo replied the topic: Do You Think Skyscrapers will Stop Getting Taller?

I for one am not a fan of tall buildings at all. We have a few in my city, but not in my neighborhood. I prefer smaller buildings and houses. What they're doing in Dubai is just ridiculous in my opinion.

• Posts 150

Serene replied the topic: Do You Think Skyscrapers will Stop Getting Taller?

I've never actually been in a skyscraper before, but I've seen plenty of them living in NY. I know that they say that skyscrapers are built so that they can withstand strong winds and that they will even sway during these types of winds. Do you think that you can actually feel the motion when you are inside of the building?