Age for licence?

• Posts 138

Zara created the topic: Age for licence?

I'd like to know at what age someone is allowed to get a licence to use a jet ski or a boat. Is there a minimum age, or is there some test that you have to take?

• Posts 49

SuddenlySarah replied the topic: Age for licence?

That is totally governed by the state you live in, so it is hard to answer this. Also, I do not think you need a license to drive a jet ski or a boat for that matter. At least where I live, all you need to do is make sure your boat is registered with the Division of Motor Vehicles.

• Posts 268

Snowy replied the topic: Age for licence?

SuddenlySarah wrote: That is totally governed by the state you live in, so it is hard to answer this. Also, I do not think you need a license to drive a jet ski or a boat for that matter. At least where I live, all you need to do is make sure your boat is registered with the Division of Motor Vehicles.

It's the same in the state where I live. I'm not sure what the rules are when it comes to small children; hopefully parents would have sense enough to make sure they're properly trained before letting them drive a boat. By the time I was in high school, my friends and I were always out in boats without a parent there.

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: Age for licence?

If all of this is true, I'm not going on or in the water where there are a lot of jet skis present, it sounds dangerous. To not have any licensed regulation governing the operation of these vehicles just begs for many accidents and possible deaths to occur, if those haven't happened already. I realize that licensing hasn't stemmed the abundance of motor vehicle accidents and deaths, but again, with drivers training and licensing, at least, I feel, a great many have been prevented.

• Posts 100

Chara replied the topic: Age for licence?

License or not, some people need to be banned from jet skis. I live in a coastal area with plenty of recreational tourists every summer and it's a challenge to do anything in or on the water with some of the idiots that visit this area. They take too many risks, come too close to shore and just aren't aware of other people. Maybe they have been drinking. Who knows. At any rate, our season to stay inside is in the summer.