Entrepreneurship

• Posts 184

marcus created the topic: Entrepreneurship

I always love the argument that entrepreneurs are made rather than born. Does the argument that there are certain people who have such in-born skills, make sense?

• Posts 40

SuddenlySarah replied the topic: Entrepreneurship

Having grown up in a family of business owners, I have to agree with you. I think it takes a special kind of person to own and run a successful business. I personally do not think that just anyone can hang their sign out and make a go of it.

• Posts 228

Perplexed replied the topic: Entrepreneurship

I agree that entrepreneurs are born not made. A person can work hard and still come up short, no matter how hard he or she tries. A born business success mind can "find a way" to circumvent obstacles that are seemingly insurmountable with a combination of innate savvy and B.S. ability. Yes, hard work is an essential for success, but the born entrepreneur has something extra that cannot be defined. It's "in the genes", or is a physiological aberration. "Rags to Riches" stories are examples of these, and really, not that common.

• Posts 26

funkshuttles replied the topic: Entrepreneurship

While not all people have the temperament to successfully run their own business, I believe that every skill/talent that successful business owners can attribute to their success is the result of life experiences and education; nobody is born with "it".

• Posts 184

marcus replied the topic: Entrepreneurship

I think we can go and on with this discussion yet the truth of the matter is that it applies both ways. I have friends who are born in a family of business minds and theirs has been a continuation of a legacy. Take an example of Donald J. Trump. On the other hand, there are many rags-to-riches stories that we all know of. Above all, I think the environment also has a bearing on the success or failure thereof of a business.

• Posts 58

Tiana replied the topic: Entrepreneurship

We can each become whatever we want to be, and becoming an entrepreneur is no different. It is a skill that can be taught to absolutely anyone. Having said that, not everyone has the bandwidth to be able to learn and implement the strategies that will make them successful.

• Posts 50

RyleeB replied the topic: Entrepreneurship

I feel that your environment does have a lot to do with it, but what about your personality type? I know a lot of people that have great ideas for getting started on their own business adventure but they don't have the outgoing personality that is needed to become successful.

• Posts 238

AutumnRose replied the topic: Entrepreneurship

I think many things influence how successful a person will be at running a business. I can't believe that it is just a born skill. Some people are more naturally outgoing which makes customers more likely to believe them, but you can bet those same successful people have spent a lot of time learning how to choose the right products or services, gain new customers, manage their finances and choose the right area for the business to be located in.

• Posts 19

Dunlop replied the topic: Entrepreneurship

marcus wrote: I always love the argument that entrepreneurs are made rather than born. Does the argument that there are certain people who have such in-born skills, make sense?

It makes sense to me, Marcus. I've known so-called entrepreneurs who have spun their wheels for years without any success. They worked hard, alright, but fall short of the "big hit", so to speak. They just seem to lack the extra or special "something" that greatly successful people possess. One case in point is Donald Trump, he seems to come out smelling like a rose no matter how he slips up, he was born that way, would you call him a genius, I don't think so. His brother came from the same stock, and wound up a miserable drunk, and finally, died, unfortunate. A successful entrepreneur knows when to "switch gears" at the exact right time, that's inborn.

• Posts 138

Zara replied the topic: Entrepreneurship

Sometimes it 'seems' like some people were born with it because they show these skills from an early age, but I think that it's just that they were exposed to the knowledge early on and started to think that way from a young age so the odds were definitely in their favor from the get go.