The importance of being prepared

• Posts 50

RyleeB created the topic: The importance of being prepared

I saw on the news the other night that over the weekend, two young adults decided to hike a mountain in the snow. They didn't bring any supplies with them and ended up veering off the path and getting lost. Thankfully, they were found the next morning, but are now suffering from hypothermia. What does it take for people to understand the importance of bringing supplies with them just-in-case? I think it's better to be over prepared, than underprepared.

• Posts 85

CammieZ replied the topic: The importance of being prepared

Sounds pretty dumb if you ask me. I would never go hiking and not be prepared. I certainly wouldn't do it in the winter without the proper gear. They are certainly lucky that they came out alive.

• Posts 223

marcus replied the topic: The importance of being prepared

It is very important to be prepared and I think it is unfortunate that people fail to appreciate this simple task. I feel for the young adults but then, this should serve as a lesson to everyone looking to hike in the winter. I have heard varied stories about hypothermia and it isn't a good thing at all.

• Posts 225

DeepSea replied the topic: The importance of being prepared

I think in some cases at least, people forget that things happen, and what they're doing could potentially turn dangerous. For them, it's just a routine hike along a familiar path in the winter time, and they think nothing of it. That is until they veer off the road, slip off a ledge, take a wrong turn, or get stuck in bad weather.

I have a friend who is always outside, often alone, and I sometimes worry that something bad will happen to him as well.

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: The importance of being prepared

It sure sounds like these two young adults didn't know what they were doing. How lucky these two were! I just hope that nothing serious arises from the after effects of the hypothermia.