If The Interent Went Down

• Posts 299

fireme created the topic: If The Interent Went Down

This question is an extension of a question that has been making the internet rounds as of late. That question is: "If the internet went down, how long would it take to get it back up?" My question is this: If the internet went down, how could you get it back up without the internet on anywhere in the world?

Would we have to start from scratch and emulate what they did in the beginning?

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: If The Interent Went Down

fireme wrote: This question is an extension of a question that has been making the internet rounds as of late. That question is: "If the internet went down, how long would it take to get it back up?" My question is this: If the internet went down, how could you get it back up without the internet on anywhere in the world?

Would we have to start from scratch and emulate what they did in the beginning?

I'm no expert, but I think that the only way the internet would have to be started from scratch would be if every stick of information and data was erased permanently with no hope for retrieval. There must be billions of backup strategies available to be instituted in just such an unfortunate event.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: If The Interent Went Down

Some days I wonder if it would really be such a bad thing if the internet went down and disappeared forever. Anyway, just to entertain the idea that it goes down and there is no back up and no way to reinstate it to its former self, I don't think it would take long to "reinvent" it, as it were. We already know how it works and starting from scratch wouldn't be so much of trial and error.