Charge of murder reduced to manslaughter

• Posts 223

marcus created the topic: Charge of murder reduced to manslaughter

Law (in general) intrigues me at times and I always wish I studied a bit of it. There was case that I went through and a murderer (who was an accomplice) accepted to confess to the killing and had his charge reduced. The prosecution was arguing that since he had owned up and gave a detailed account of everything, having him as a prosecution witness would have sufficed. In my opinion, he deserved a longer sentence. Taking someone's life isn't acceptable at all, irrespective of the circumstances.

• Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: Charge of murder reduced to manslaughter

I have to agree with you, Marcus. I think too many people who are cold blooded murderers get a much lesser sentence than they should because they are given a plea bargain. I can see where sometimes manslaughter is fitting if the person did not intentionally kill another, such as a drunk driving accident. But, if a person intentionally took the life of another, there should never be an option for him/her to plea down to only being charged with manslaughter.

• Posts 299

fireme replied the topic: Charge of murder reduced to manslaughter

marcus wrote: Taking someone's life isn't acceptable at all, irrespective of the circumstances.

I disagree. Self defense is not only acceptable, it's necessary sometimes. Some states have a law where if you kill someone because you were defending a helpless child, it's not murder. It's called Acting in Defense of a Third Party.