Getting Along With Ex-Inlaws

• AutumnRose
  • AutumnRose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Posts 285

AutumnRose created the topic: Getting Along With Ex-Inlaws

There are certain people on my ex husband's side of the family that I have managed to keep a good relationship with. In fact, I've known his younger brother since he was 6 years old, he is my daughter's uncle and I will always think of him as my brother in-law. His 3 little boys are still as much my nephews as they were when I was still married to my ex husband. I just feel that if there are children involved, it works out best if the adults can be civilized towards each other. Do any of you have ex-inlaws that you still get along with?

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: Getting Along With Ex-Inlaws

No! I don't get along with my ex-husband's family nor do I get along with the families of any of my long term relationship exes. I do think it's great, though, that you still get along with and stay in touch with your former in-laws.

• Posts 222

JoJo replied the topic: Getting Along With Ex-Inlaws

I have never been married, but I think it's more mature to stay in good terms with the ex-inlaws. I don't see why you should cut the ties just because you're not with your husband anymore.

• AutumnRose
  • AutumnRose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: Getting Along With Ex-Inlaws

That's how I see it, Jojo. Although, I can totally understand how some people no longer want to associate with any of their former in-laws too. In some cases it is best to stay away from the entire family once the marriage is over.

• Posts 299

fireme replied the topic: Getting Along With Ex-Inlaws

JoJo wrote: I have never been married, but I think it's more mature to stay in good terms with the ex-inlaws. I don't see why you should cut the ties just because you're not with your husband anymore.

Because sometimes you get along with people out of a sense of obligation. When you marry someone, you become a part of their family.......for better or worse, and just like with anyone else, you are either going to get along with them on a personal level or not. Sometimes just being civil towards one another is the best you can do.

• Posts 142

Zara replied the topic: Getting Along With Ex-Inlaws

In every family that I've ever been a part of, there have always been people that I liked and got along with and those that I just couldn't stand - even in my own family. I guess that's just how it is. You can't like or be liked by everybody. As for my exes, I am still friends with all of them. I just don't think that you can ever hate someone you ever truly loved.