Crabs in the bucket

• Posts 50

schwarz created the topic: Crabs in the bucket

I've always wondered about the crabs in the bucket saying that implies that the crabs hinder their own survival through their 'selfishness'. Is there any truth to this in reality?

• Posts 150

Serene replied the topic: Crabs in the bucket

I've seen a bunch of crabs in a bucket before and it does look like they experience selfishness. They love to grab at anything they can to get to the top before anyone else, but it almost always works against them. I think I read one time that this is called crab mentality.

• Posts 50

schwarz replied the topic: Crabs in the bucket

This is interesting, indeed. However, to be fair to our crabby friends, I do not think that crabs behave like this out of selfishness; in fact, I do not believe that they have the ability to have such a pattern of behavior stemming from a mental thought process, in the first place.

• Posts 209

Snowy replied the topic: Crabs in the bucket

I haven't heard about this theory before, but it sounds to me like a survival of the fittest mentality. Apparently, teamwork isn't something crabs think about!

• Posts 47

Chara replied the topic: Crabs in the bucket

You have nailed it Snowy. Crabs don't think. They just want to survive above all else. Hence, crabs in a bucket means getting ahead no matter who gets hurt and doing whatever it takes.