When Your Family Members Are Your Only Friends

• AutumnRose
  • AutumnRose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Posts 285

AutumnRose created the topic: When Your Family Members Are Your Only Friends

I have a few people that I would consider friends that I have known for years, but we only talk on occasion and never spend time together. In all honesty, my only true friends that I do anything with are my husband, my kids or my inlaws. Strangely enough, I am content with this and it really doesn't bother me that I do not have a huge circle of friends to go out and do things with. Is this a common thing for those who are in their 40s or am I just becoming more anti-social as I get older?

• Posts 225

DeepSea replied the topic: When Your Family Members Are Your Only Friends

I don't think it's all that uncommon. I once read an article that said people in their mid-twenties tend to have very few friends for various reasons, so perhaps it just happens every now and then throughout our lives. I especially don't think it's weird to hang out with your husband. I mean, the fact that you married him must mean that you like spending time with him, right? lol

• Posts 122

nick replied the topic: When Your Family Members Are Your Only Friends

I agree with you AutumnRose since over the past few years, my circle of friends has continued to become smaller and the number of people I'm constantly in touch with (excluding my kids and wife) is countable. I like it this way since these are people I can call at midnight and still get help.

• AutumnRose
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: When Your Family Members Are Your Only Friends

You make a good point there, nick. There's no one other than my closest family members that I know would be there for me in a time of emergency and I would do the same for them. I guess we tend to stick with those we know we can trust the most.

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: When Your Family Members Are Your Only Friends

AutumnRose wrote: I have a few people that I would consider friends that I have known for years, but we only talk on occasion and never spend time together. In all honesty, my only true friends that I do anything with are my husband, my kids or my inlaws. Strangely enough, I am content with this and it really doesn't bother me that I do not have a huge circle of friends to go out and do things with. Is this a common thing for those who are in their 40s or am I just becoming more anti-social as I get older?

By you writing this, AutumnRose, it does sound like this bothers you, it shouldn't. I've always been this way, and, I also use to question it before I found out, when I was fifty years old, that I'm introverted, and need a lot of "alone time" to "recharge my batteries", so to speak. You are quite normal and not anti-social. As a matter of fact, I think that people who need constant unending contact with others and party all the time have a multitude of "fair weathered acquaintances" and are of a weaker character. I know this sounds bitter, but this is payback for these fools always trying to prove that there's "something wrong with me". Relax and enjoy your independent nature.

• Posts 222

JoJo replied the topic: When Your Family Members Are Your Only Friends

When it comes to friends, I think that quality is more important than quantity. I have only 5 truly close friends that I can talk just about anything to, the rest are just buddies. So I don't think it's uncommon.

• AutumnRose
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: When Your Family Members Are Your Only Friends

Perplexed wrote:

AutumnRose wrote: I have a few people that I would consider friends that I have known for years, but we only talk on occasion and never spend time together. In all honesty, my only true friends that I do anything with are my husband, my kids or my inlaws. Strangely enough, I am content with this and it really doesn't bother me that I do not have a huge circle of friends to go out and do things with. Is this a common thing for those who are in their 40s or am I just becoming more anti-social as I get older?

By you writing this, AutumnRose, it does sound like this bothers you, it shouldn't. I've always been this way, and, I also use to question it before I found out, when I was fifty years old, that I'm introverted, and need a lot of "alone time" to "recharge my batteries", so to speak. You are quite normal and not anti-social. As a matter of fact, I think that people who need constant unending contact with others and party all the time have a multitude of "fair weathered acquaintances" and are of a weaker character. I know this sounds bitter, but this is payback for these fools always trying to prove that there's "something wrong with me". Relax and enjoy your independent nature.

Thank you, Perplexed! I had not thought of it that way. I definitely need time to recharge and I have not quite hit 50 yet. As a child there were lots of times I was content to just go along with my dogs and play without any other kids with me. I guess old habits die hard because I still have 4 little dogs and sometimes I just like to sit around and spend time with them.