What would you do with $100 million?

• The Speaker
  • The Speaker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Posts 7

The Speaker created the topic: What would you do with $100 million?

The Powerball jackpot is at nearly $100 million. What would you do if you won that much money - what would you buy, where would you go? And if you won, who would you tell?

• Posts 2

dopey replied the topic: What would you do with $100 million?

I'd move to Canada for the next four years, I think we're hosed until 2020. :-(

• Posts 223

marcus replied the topic: What would you do with $100 million?

That's quite an amount of money. I'd first take a deserved holiday and probably buy a house then invest the remainder.

That's the kind of money that attracts a lot of attention but I'm not sure I'd be able to handle it.

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: What would you do with $100 million?

If I won the $100 million, I would help out my family members, donate to charity and invest some. Travel would be on my to-do list. As far as luxury vehicles or a boat, that wouldn't be a top priority for me.

• Posts 26

funkshuttles replied the topic: What would you do with $100 million?

If I won $100 million in the lottery, the first thing that I'd do is sign the ticket and put it into a safe. Then I'd hire a reputable law firm that specializes in trusts/wills and give them limited power of attorney to cash in the ticket for me (the power of attorney would specify the accounts that the winnings must be deposited into). The law firm would have instructions to wait until about a week before the deadline for claiming the winnings, before redeeming the ticket. I would also hire a reputable accountant to handle the taxes and payment to the law firm. Then I would hire a second accountant to audit the first accountant. After that, it's just a matter of finding the right interest bearing investments and coming up with a plan to deal with all of the "family members" who would come out of the woodwork.

• Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: What would you do with $100 million?

First of all, I would do everything I could to keep it from being made public that I had won. You get all kinds of creepers coming out of the woodworks if they think you've hit big money. Then I would pay off all my bills, pay off all my mother's bills, buy new vehicles for us and my older kids and probably buy a new home as well. I would also have to take a month long trip to Hawaii because I have always wanted to go there.

• Posts 26

funkshuttles replied the topic: What would you do with $100 million?

AutumnRose wrote: First of all, I would do everything I could to keep it from being made public that I had won. You get all kinds of creepers coming out of the woodworks if they think you've hit big money. Then I would pay off all my bills, pay off all my mother's bills, buy new vehicles for us and my older kids and probably buy a new home as well. I would also have to take a month long trip to Hawaii because I have always wanted to go there.

Depending upon the state, the second that you claim the winning ticket it will be made public. But an attorney can do it for you (there are mechanisms to keep the attorney honest) and the true identity of the winner is never made public. You are right though; everything that I've read about lottery winners suggests that you will end up with several of the oddest relatives that you never knew you had.

• Posts 142

Zara replied the topic: What would you do with $100 million?

I think you're all over-thinking things. If I won, I would give half to charity and then 10% I would pay myself. 10% would pay all my debts (house, car, credit card, loans etc) 10% would go into trust for my daughter, the last 20% I would use to start a business. Done!

• Posts 299

fireme replied the topic: What would you do with $100 million?

I would change my name, social security number and country of residence. I would move to Switzerland and on my application when they ask me the reason why I want to live in their country, I would put "financial asylum". :lol:

Seriously.

• Posts 222

JoJo replied the topic: What would you do with $100 million?

If I won that kind of money, the first thing I would do is quit my job. Then I would take a whole year off and travel to every country I have been dreaming of seeing. That's how far I can think at the moment :D