Moral compass

  • Posts 70

Mushroom created the topic: Moral compass

If your work is law-related, I bet there are times when you are torn between fighting for the truth or just give in to make things easier (with money and everything else). What do you do under such situation? Have you ever thought of giving up?

#1
  • Posts 50

RyleeB replied the topic: Moral compass

I can't imagine having a job like this because I'm such an honest person. I don't think that I would be able to see things from a criminal's point of view enough to get them a lesser punishment. I guess some of us just aren't cut out for certain career paths.

#2
  • Posts 70

Mushroom replied the topic: Moral compass

RyleeB wrote: I can't imagine having a job like this because I'm such an honest person. I don't think that I would be able to see things from a criminal's point of view enough to get them a lesser punishment. I guess some of us just aren't cut out for certain career paths.

I know that we should take a broader look at each individual because there is always reason behind the act, but I can't help get affected by my personal values that it's hard to stay neutral under such situation. It still amazes me how lawyers can separate those ideas well.

#3
  • Posts 246

fireme replied the topic: Moral compass

One thing that some lawyers do is go by the letter of the law. Some don't look at it like they are defending a known child molester. They look at it like they are defending an American's right to fair legal proceedings. They distance their emotions and personal feelings about it by putting up a wall called legal technicalities.

#4
  • Posts 238

AutumnRose replied the topic: Moral compass

Being a criminal attorney would have to be a hard career to handle. There has to be many times when you are representing someone that you know is guilty of a hideous crime, but that same person still has a right to a fair trial just like anybody else. I could never be a criminal attorney.

#5
  • Posts 40

SuddenlySarah replied the topic: Moral compass

My husband is retired law enforcement. He has to do his job, and there are certain situations where that cannot be compromised. It is not easy for many officers. Everyone has a sob story, and you spend 8 or 12 hours a day having people lie to you about even the most stupid things. You get to a point where you have a hard time believing anyone, and now you look like an uncaring jerk. They really can't win.

#6
  • Posts 228

Perplexed replied the topic: Moral compass

I agree that Law Enforcement is a tough job, and I'm all for the Police, God Bless them! As far as defending someone who is guilty, I'd have a very difficult time doing this, as well. I understand that every citizen has a right to a fair and speedy trial, but my moral compass would be put to the test if I had to defend a known child molester.

#7
  • Posts 70

Mushroom replied the topic: Moral compass

SuddenlySarah wrote: My husband is retired law enforcement. He has to do his job, and there are certain situations where that cannot be compromised. It is not easy for many officers. Everyone has a sob story, and you spend 8 or 12 hours a day having people lie to you about even the most stupid things. You get to a point where you have a hard time believing anyone, and now you look like an uncaring jerk. They really can't win.

Much like what fireme said, it looks like they end up 'killing' their conscience while trying to protect it from the job. That's why it's hard for me to understand, but I respect them at the same time.

#8
  • Posts 184

marcus replied the topic: Moral compass

I have never worked in a law-related environment but I bet that anyone in the legal profession will at one point be torn in certain situations. Take an example of criminal cases. How do the lawyers who handle such cases go about them?

#9
  • Posts 246

fireme replied the topic: Moral compass

Perplexed wrote: As far as defending someone who is guilty, I'd have a very difficult time doing this, as well. I understand that every citizen has a right to a fair and speedy trial, but my moral compass would be put to the test if I had to defend a known child molester.


So would I, so I guess it's a good thing that I'm not a lawyer. Sarah was talking about the personal side of law enforcement, and here we have the impersonal side of it. This is where the whole system gets to be imperfect to the point where it doesn't work properly in my opinion. There is too much of a divide in reason between why a person is arrested and how they get defended.

#10