Jury duty

• Posts 225

DeepSea created the topic: Jury duty

How does jury selection work in your country? Here in Canada, they randomly select people from the voters list, and if you don't show up, you can be charged with contempt of court.

Back in September was the first time I'd been summoned for jury selection. Luckily I was excused from the process, but it was still a very stressful experience. The case I was summoned to was particularly nasty, so the trial was expected to take 6 months to complete!

I understand it's our civic duty, but it still feels like you're being punished for being a law-abiding citizen (criminals obviously don't qualify as jurors). With the exception of the case that I was on, jurors usually aren't paid for the first couple of weeks either, and even after that, the pay is very poor.

What are your thoughts on jury duty? Do you think it's fair that citizens are required by law to serve?

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: Jury duty

It's pretty much the same in the U.S., well, at least in Florida it is. I was called last month but was excused from serving after I wasn't chosen to serve on a case. We're called from the motor vehicle list, but it seems that I get called an awful lot, every couple of years, or so, it sure doesn't seem "at random" as we're told. We use to be called from the voters list, but it was deemed less fair.

• Posts 142

Zara replied the topic: Jury duty

I have never been selected for jury duty (I don't know if that's lucky or not...) but I think that if I were to get chosen to serve on a big case, I might enjoy it somewhat. I love all those courtroom dramas and I would certainly enjoy being in one.

• Posts 225

DeepSea replied the topic: Jury duty

Zara wrote: I have never been selected for jury duty (I don't know if that's lucky or not...) but I think that if I were to get chosen to serve on a big case, I might enjoy it somewhat. I love all those courtroom dramas and I would certainly enjoy being in one.

Trust me, you're lucky. I've heard of some people being in major debt after serving as a juror, because the pay is so bad.

Haha yeah, when I was in the holding room with the other jurors, a man that I was sitting with said he secretly wanted to be chosen for the same reason.

I'm glad I wasn't eligible though, because my grandma passed away a few weeks ago, and I know it would've been a hassle to get out of jury duty to attend her funeral.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: Jury duty

I just got a summons to serve next month, but I'm going to have to call them because I'll be traveling at the time. I've been called to jury duty many times, but I've never actually had to sit on a jury.

• Posts 225

Snowy wrote: I just got a summons to serve next month, but I'm going to have to call them because I'll be traveling at the time. I've been called to jury duty many times, but I've never actually had to sit on a jury.

I'm not sure where you live, but I believe when I went, they said if you already had a vacation booked, you could at least get deferred. So you might be safe this time haha.

• Posts 20

Enter Sandman replied the topic: Jury duty

I served on Grand Jury about 15 years ago. It was 2 days a week (Tuesday and Thursday, 9am to 5 pm) for 3 months. Basically we handed down indictments all day. It was fascinating but mostly exhausting, especially when we had the sex crimes prosecutor. Those days were very difficult to get through.

Your job cannot penalize you for serving Jury Duty, so I don't understand how people have gone into debt serving. If you are in a job where you will not be paid if you serve (such as if you work straight commission) the judge will excuse you from serving.

• Posts 225

Enter Sandman wrote: I served on Grand Jury about 15 years ago. It was 2 days a week (Tuesday and Thursday, 9am to 5 pm) for 3 months. Basically we handed down indictments all day. It was fascinating but mostly exhausting, especially when we had the sex crimes prosecutor. Those days were very difficult to get through.

Your job cannot penalize you for serving Jury Duty, so I don't understand how people have gone into debt serving. If you are in a job where you will not be paid if you serve (such as if you work straight commission) the judge will excuse you from serving.

That sounds brutal! I was completely exhausted after just the one day I was there for selections, so I can't imagine going in everyday for three months.

I suppose every area is different, but where I live, and in many other places, employers are not required by law to pay employees who are summoned to jury duty. I don't think they're allowed to let you go, but they don't have to pay you either. The government will pay you if the trial goes on long enough. It's not very much though.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: Jury duty

DeepSea wrote:

Snowy wrote: I just got a summons to serve next month, but I'm going to have to call them because I'll be traveling at the time. I've been called to jury duty many times, but I've never actually had to sit on a jury.

I'm not sure where you live, but I believe when I went, they said if you already had a vacation booked, you could at least get deferred. So you might be safe this time haha.

As it turned out, they didn't really care about my travel plans, but they did let me out of it due to a lack of child care. It didn't really make sense to me, but I didn't have to go and my plans stayed intact, so I was happy.