Not a Fan!

• Posts 50

Kira created the topic: Not a Fan!

What is your take on graphic novels? Being from the older generation, I am not a fan. Give me a good book (with no pictures), and let me use my imagination as to what a scene or person looks like. I know they are supposed to encourage reluctant readers to read and I'm all for that. But for me, not so much.

• Posts 150

Serene replied the topic: Not a Fan!

Being an artist myself, I have to say that there are a lot of graphic novels out there that have amazing artwork in them. This is the only reason why I look at them at all. I find that most are difficult to follow along with and why I would rather be reading a chapter book instead too.

• Posts 230

AutumnRose replied the topic: Not a Fan!

i love art and I love books. However, I do not care for graphic novels. If I cannot imagine in my mind what is going on, chances are this is not the right book for me.

• Posts 170

DeepSea replied the topic: Not a Fan!

Even though I'm an artist, and I'm from the generation that grew up with graphic novels, I'm not a fan of American graphic novels at all. I am however, a fan of Japanese manga, which is similar, but the artwork and stories are more appealing to me.

• Posts 138

Zara replied the topic: Not a Fan!

I've only recently become a fan of graphic novels. I never used to like them, but now they are kind of growing on me. I guess the graphics are getting better and better with time and that's why a lot more people are into them now than before.

• Posts 175

JoJo replied the topic: Not a Fan!

I like to read comic books, but when it comes to reading novels, I prefer reading books and letting my imagination run wild. I think every reader should have their own "picture" about the plot when reading something; it makes it more fun.

• Posts 209

Snowy replied the topic: Not a Fan!

JoJo wrote: I like to read comic books, but when it comes to reading novels, I prefer reading books and letting my imagination run wild. I think every reader should have their own "picture" about the plot when reading something; it makes it more fun.

This is pretty much how I feel. Plus, I am so used to using my own imagination when reading a novel that I find graphic novels very distracting. I'm all for art, but I find it too difficult to do art and a story at the same time.