How To Cut Back On Heating Costs

• AutumnRose
  • AutumnRose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Posts 268

AutumnRose created the topic: How To Cut Back On Heating Costs

During the winter, our heating bill goes through the roof. We have a gas fireplace and the cost of propane is unreal. Does anyone have any tips on how to cut back on heating costs during the winter?

• Posts 50

RyleeB replied the topic: How To Cut Back On Heating Costs

I use natural gas in my home and supposedly it's going to be cheaper this year. (I hope!) The best way that I've always cut back is to lower the thermostat at night or when I'm not going to be home during the day. You'd be surprised at what lowering your thermostat five degrees will do.

• Posts 284

fireme replied the topic: How To Cut Back On Heating Costs

Don't depend on gas heat ( wood stoves or real fireplaces are good alternatives) weather seal your house and live in a house with an open floor plan. The more walls you have in your house, the more it will cost to heat it. Or cool it for that matter.

• AutumnRose
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Posts 268

AutumnRose replied the topic: How To Cut Back On Heating Costs

Our house is somewhat open and we normally close off the rooms we aren't using as much as possible. However, I have no choice but to use propane for heat right now. We have a gas fireplace insert in our living room and a gas wall heater for the back of our house.

• Posts 85

CammieZ replied the topic: How To Cut Back On Heating Costs

Cover your windows with plastic. This keeps the heat inside. We also use space heaters to warm up the rooms. I had a woodstove for years and it was great.

• Posts 244

Snowy replied the topic: How To Cut Back On Heating Costs

We heat with natural gas and I've also been trying to get our cost down to no avail. I did discover that our gas fireplace is an energy pit, so I only turn that on now for special occasions. We have a wood fireplace in our basement rec room, but it doesn't have a blower. Other than keeping the thermostats as low as tolerable, I don't really have an answer for you, but I wish I did.

• AutumnRose
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Posts 268

AutumnRose replied the topic: How To Cut Back On Heating Costs

My husband got fed up with the cost of propane. He had the big tank removed from our property and got the bright idea of using a large kerosene heater to heat our home. I knew this was a mistake when he did it, but what could I do. :nay: The kerosene heats our home well enough, but we have had a mild winter. If it were to be down to zero degrees like it has been in the past, we would have to have two kero heaters. Oh and it costs just as much as propane to heat with kerosene too. :headslap: