Discover your talents

• Posts 58

Tiana created the topic: Discover your talents

I would love to know how to help someone discover their God-given talents, especially when that person believes that they have none. I know we all have them, so what are some techniques I could use to draw out and develop them?

• Posts 50

RyleeB replied the topic: Discover your talents

Definitely introducing people to new things is a great way to find out hidden talents. I feel that when you let people explore new avenues they will eventually find something that they are really good at and absolutely enjoy doing. I know that is how I found a lot of my talents.

• Posts 122

nick replied the topic: Discover your talents

I get a bit angry when people aren't aware of their gifts and talents. I believe that the best way is to mentor such people and help them understand that they are able to achieve much by putting their gifts into good use.

• Posts 299

fireme replied the topic: Discover your talents

nick wrote: I get a bit angry when people aren't aware of their gifts and talents.

Well that's kind of mean, Nick. That's like getting mad at someone who is going through life without a direction. I would just find out what they like doing and foster that. Encourage them to keep going down that road until they find what their natural talent is.

• Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: Discover your talents

I think my purpose on this planet is to be a loving wife, mother, daughter and pet owner. While there are many other talents I may have but am not aware of, I know I succeed at these things and I feel very proud that I do. Just because a person's talents or gifts do not have a direct impact on those outside their own family does not mean they are not worthwhile.

• Posts 225

DeepSea replied the topic: Discover your talents

Well, if a person is naturally talented at a specific task or hobby, it's usually because of an in-born physical or mental trait that they possess, which allows them to show high results immediately. Therefore, you would just have to make note of what their mental and physical strengths are, and introduce them to activities that make use of those specific traits.

American swimmer Michael Phelps, for example, possesses several physical attributes that make him better suited for swimming than the average person. He has disproportionately long arms, large feet, and hypermobile ankles which allow him to propel himself through the water more easily.

Similarly, your tall friends could be talented athletes, your observant friends may be skilled artists, and your logical friends might excel at chess. So, if you want to help your friends discover their hidden talents, you should try to think of activities that require their specific attributes.

• Posts 70

Mushroom replied the topic: Discover your talents

Discovering talents is like discovering yourself, which is only possible by trying as many new things as you can. People are different, though. One may not have something he really excels in, but he can do various things and produce good results. Don't let the process and results get you down.

• Posts 299

fireme replied the topic: Discover your talents

Mushroom wrote: One may not have something he really excels in, but he can do various things and produce good results.

That sounds like me in a nutshell. A jack of all trades and master of none. People wonder why, at my age, I don't just settle on one thing. They don't understand that if I did that I would probably suck at it. I have to have my fingers in many pies at the same time.

• Posts 142

Zara replied the topic: Discover your talents

I agree with Mushroom that people like Fireme can still produce really good results in every area of their lives doing many different things, rather than excelling in one particular subject. There is no law in this universe that says that you have to pick only one thing to be good at, is there?

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: Discover your talents

I'd like to say that there are people, such as myself, who knew exactly what they wanted to do and didn't need to search for it, but are totally unable to do it. My fields of interest were Athletics and/or the Military, but if you trip over your own feet or run the 100 yard dash in 10 minutes, "you ain't goin' nowhere"! I could have made a so/so history teacher, Whoopee!!! So, I became a meter reader. Most people have no talent to find.