Can persistent overshadow talent?

• Posts 58

Tiana created the topic: Can persistent overshadow talent?

When it comes to the people that stand out as champions in their fields, do you think that champions are born or made through persistence at achieving their goals?

• Posts 142

Zara replied the topic: Can persistent overshadow talent?

I think that champions are made rather than born. I've seen kids who are born into a family of intellectuals who couldn't do simple math in school, and I've seen others who are born to parents who know nothing about sport go on to become one of the best players in the team.

• Posts 23

Millwood replied the topic: Can persistent overshadow talent?

Oh, absolutely. Not only do I believe that persistence can overshadow talent, but I believe that it's worth more than talent. I'd rather get recognized for being an amazing pianist because I bust my back-end everyday practicing than for being a prodigy.

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: Can persistent overshadow talent?

I tend to feel that you must have the talent to begin with if you would excel at any demanding endeavor, such as sports. Coupled with hard work and persistence, then and only then, will you ever become a champion. For instance, even though I love sports, my body build and athletic abilities leave me sorely lacking, no matter how hard I work, the basics aren't there. You can't build a house with no tools, let alone a mansion.

• Posts 100

Chara replied the topic: Can persistent overshadow talent?

I agree with you Perplexed. There has to be a little something there to start with or there would be nothing to build on. The movie "Rudy" comes to mind. He gave his heart and soul to Notre Dame football but just didn't have the tools to become a good player. He did get his day in the sun though. If you haven't watched the movie, I would strongly encourage you to do so. It's great!!

• Posts 299

fireme replied the topic: Can persistent overshadow talent?

Persistence can nurture talent. Talent cannot nurture persistence. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

There is no better feeling in the world than knowing you were born with talent and worked persistently to make it work for you.

Conversely, there is no worse feeling in the world than to be born with talent and piss it away.

:)

• Posts 142

Zara replied the topic: Can persistent overshadow talent?

I just love the wonderful diversity in our world when it comes to people and their passions and talents. There is something for everybody no matter what their tastes. I laugh when I hear someone say that they have no talents. That is just never true, in my opinion.