Euthanasia

• Posts 225

DeepSea created the topic: Euthanasia

Have you ever had to euthanise a pet? It's one of the hardest parts of being a pet owner, and one of the most difficult decisions to make.

I'm not really comfortable with it, but I understand that in some cases it's necessary. The struggle for me is knowing exactly when it's time to euthanise.

What do you look for when you decide to put your beloved pet down? How do you know it's time?

• Posts 122

nick replied the topic: Euthanasia

For me, old age would have to be a justifiable cause. It is one of the hardest things to do. We euthanized our dog about 20 years ago and the memories are still very fresh. I have never forgotten that awkward feeling when he breathed his last. It was necessary since he had started displaying violent behavior besides being very old.

• Posts 222

JoJo replied the topic: Euthanasia

I am so thankful that I have never had to do this. I don't think I would ever get over it or forgive myself for doing it; even if it's the best option for my pet.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: Euthanasia

I've been through this many times with dogs, cats, and horses and it stinks. I base my decision on what the vet says and whether or not the animal still has any quality of life. If they're in pain and miserable, there's no point in making them suffer.

• Posts 225

DeepSea replied the topic: Euthanasia

JoJo wrote: I am so thankful that I have never had to do this. I don't think I would ever get over it or forgive myself for doing it; even if it's the best option for my pet.

Yeah, it's definitely the worst thing about having pets. It's actually one of the reasons I don't have any pets at the moment. I'm afraid that they'll get sick, and I'll have to make that decision again.

• Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: Euthanasia

I have never had to do this, but I have had animals die unexpectedly on me before when they seemed fine one day and gone the next. Losing a pet is so painful. To me, my dogs are like a part of our family. I do not know at what point you would know that it was time to do this. I guess I would have to go on what the vet advises. I find myself worrying about this a lot though because two of my little dogs are older. They are 7 and 8 years old and I just pray I still have many years with them.