How many is too many?

• Posts 225

DeepSea created the topic: How many is too many?

When I was a kid I always had a lot of pets. I used to joke that I had a zoo at home, and later, that I had a pet cemetery in my backyard.

I don't have any pets right now, but I know a lot of people who have quite a few. How many pets do you think is too many? What's the highest number of pets you've kept at one time?

• Posts 100

Chara replied the topic: How many is too many?

As long as they are indoor/outdoor pets, it's not to bad. I have had as many as 7 cats before but I surely wouldn't want 7 cats in the house all the time. A friend of mine has 9 various cats and dogs.....all indoor and she's sick a lot of the time. Whether there's any correlation or not, I don't know. Jus saying.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: How many is too many?

I grew up on a horse farm, so being surrounded by animals is in my nature. In addition to the horses, we would have as many as 20 barn cats at one time. They would help control the mice in the barns, so they were pets with a purpose. Currently, in the house, we have two dogs and two cats and I think that's my limit for indoor pets.

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: How many is too many?

DeepSea wrote: When I was a kid I always had a lot of pets. I used to joke that I had a zoo at home, and later, that I had a pet cemetery in my backyard.

I don't have any pets right now, but I know a lot of people who have quite a few. How many pets do you think is too many? What's the highest number of pets you've kept at one time?

Your childhood sounds like mine, DeepSea! I too had a "zoo" at home with many cats, dogs, chickens, pigeons, rabbits, you name it, my family had it! And, I'm really not an animal lover! I think one dog, small, and one cat would constitute an okay household menagerie for any kid.

• Posts 62

EmmyG replied the topic: How many is too many?

I think how many is too many is a personal decision, but should be based on how the pets are cared for, how clean you can keep your environment, and how much you are able to afford their food and medical expense. As long as you are taking care of your pets, your home, and yourself, the limit should be set by what you can reasonably and honestly handle.

• Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: How many is too many?

I think this depends on the owner. I have 5 little Chihuahua & Chiweenies and it does get a bit crazy sometimes, but they are all well behaved most of the time. I know someone who has 14 dogs in his house. He has both huge Mastiff dogs and tiny Chihuahua dogs. To me that seems like way too many, but he provides for them very well, loves and spoils them and is always able to take them to the vet when needed. So if he can handle it, I see no problem with it.

• Posts 122

nick replied the topic: How many is too many?

I can actually see that we all have almost similar childhood experiences. Growing up was fun and there were always pets around us. As time went by, their numbers seemed to decrease. I don't even think I can manage to have more than three pets at the moment.