Ways to learn about philosophy

• Posts 70

Mushroom created the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

It's only recently that I start feeling like I want to know more about philosophy. It will probably help me to make peace with life.

Since I love to read books, I'm planning to start by reading Sophie's World. I've heard good reviews about it for beginners.

• Posts 299

fireme replied the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

That's actually not a bad choice at all. Philosophy in a fiction environment such as that book would be an easy way in I think.

Good choice.

• Posts 58

Tiana replied the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

I totally agree. That is a great place to start. Jostein Gaarder, the author of the book, is an amazing writer and I've only heard great reviews about the novel.

• Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

I actually had to take a Philosophy class in college and I hated it immensely. My professor was very head strong in changing my beliefs, so I felt like it was a total waste of time. However, there is a website called freeed.net and I know you can take many of the courses offered in college on there free of charge. You can go at your own pace, but you do not get college credits for it. I am not sure, but there may be a course in Philosophy there.

• Posts 223

marcus replied the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

I have managed to get hold of the soft copy. I will start reading it later in the day. This is the perfect way to start my week and I hope it will be the only way I get my reading groove back. You are a totally different person when you are reading books and I think this is the way to go.

• Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

Gotta agree with you, Marcus. There's just something that is both calming and exciting about reading a good book on something you are truly interested in. Calming because it takes your mind off the rest of the world and exciting because your brain is just yearning to learn more.

• Posts 70

Mushroom replied the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

The problem when you hope to learn something via reading is that the fun gets spoiled if you can't reach that goal. I'm disappointed in myself that I have to re-read the philosophical parts quite often to get the point across. Reading feels exhausting lately.

• Posts 142

Zara replied the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

There is a difference between learning something for the sake of knowing it, and learning it to improve your life experience in some way. I think you would do better to find books that will enhance your life, not just entertain you.

• Posts 122

nick replied the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

I like the bit where you talk about making peace with life. I agree that trying to understand philosophy is intriguing but if there is one thing that I am still struggling with, it has to be diligence in reading books and any other forms of literature. I will go by your suggestion and look for Sophie's World.

• Posts 225

DeepSea replied the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

One way I learned some philosophy was by listening to lectures on Youtube. A lot of universities post the lectures and presentations that are given there, and I found some of them to be pretty interesting.

You can sometimes find small clips answering specific philosophical questions, or entire hour long talks about certain topics.