Ways to learn about philosophy

• Posts 70

Mushroom created the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

It's only recently that I start feeling like I want to know more about philosophy. It will probably help me to make peace with life.

Since I love to read books, I'm planning to start by reading Sophie's World. I've heard good reviews about it for beginners.

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: Ways to learn about philosophy

Mushroom wrote: It's only recently that I start feeling like I want to know more about philosophy. It will probably help me to make peace with life.

Since I love to read books, I'm planning to start by reading Sophie's World. I've heard good reviews about it for beginners.

The question arises, what type of Philosophy are you considering studying, classical, religious, "armchair", life's? There are many types. If you're interested in classical philosophers, possibly a course in Philosophy 101 might be a good place to start. Reading books on the ancient philosophers might advance your knowledge. Reading the Bible or other religious texts may broaden your scope in theological philosophy. Or, listening to and studying people in everyday life may be a boost to finding your "inner self". Try a little bit of everything to round out your studies. Remember what Rene Descartes once espoused, "Cogito ergo sum.", "I think, therefore I am."