The ban on refugees

• Posts 223

marcus created the topic: The ban on refugees

What do you think about the recent ban of refugees from certain countries? I can't recall anytime in history that there have been such huge protests. However, President Trump is adamant that he is doing this for the greater good of the American people. Do you think this will work in the long term? Politics is quite a circus, I must say.

• Posts 225

DeepSea replied the topic: The ban on refugees

I'm not really sure how I feel about the ban. I'm not American, and I'm not entirely up to speed on what the ban involves, but during his election campaign, Trump said he would only ban refugees from areas that are known sources of terror.

The ban is only for about three months anyway. Obama did something similar back in 2011, when he barred refugees from Iraq from entering the USA for six months. I guess the difference here is that Trump is apparently also banning immigrants and tourists from the specified countries.

• Posts 223

marcus replied the topic: The ban on refugees

DeepSea wrote: I'm not really sure how I feel about the ban. I'm not American, and I'm not entirely up to speed on what the ban involves, but during his election campaign, Trump said he would only ban refugees from areas that are known sources of terror.

The ban is only for about three months anyway. Obama did something similar back in 2011, when he barred refugees from Iraq from entering the USA for six months. I guess the difference here is that Trump is apparently also banning immigrants and tourists from the specified countries.

I am not American as well but it is just interesting how the turn of events has been. When Trump was campaigning, I almost thought that most of what he was promising to do would never see the light of day. The ban of refugees (in my view) took almost everyone off guard. I am not sure if banning immigrants and tourists is a good thing though. There was this particular Iranian man who's lived in the US for 20 years but cannot get past the airport now. Some people may want to look at this as discriminatory but perhaps only time will tell.

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: The ban on refugees

The detaining of a handful of people was due to the disorganization of the order upon enactment, which was unfortunate. However, those folks have been released. This "Executive Order" is necessary for the protection of the American People. Senator Chuck Schumer's "crocodile tears" aren't needed, and undermine the integrity for the effectiveness of this policy. We're in deep "doo-doo" Folks! Let's grow up and smell the roses, or We're finished as a People.

• Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: The ban on refugees

I totally agree with President Trump. I think the only way to keep terrorists out of our country is to prevent refugees from other countries from getting in. This is not to say that all refugees are terrorists, but how can we know who is and who isn't? I understand exactly why he is doing this, but I fear it may make other countries try to attack America in the long run.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: The ban on refugees

I am all for a better vetting system, but I completely disagree with the way that particular executive order was rolled out. He acted too quickly and it created a mess. Hopefully the new order that is supposed to be out next week will make more sense.

• Posts 62

EmmyG replied the topic: The ban on refugees

Refugees are different than tourists, and I think we can all agree on that. Tourists come to your country, dump money into your economy, and then leave after a week or two. Refugees come to your country and need housing, food, medical care, education, clothing...and they don't go home after two weeks. They stay and become part of the community where they end up. What is so wrong about having some sort of vetting process in place? I can't just drive into Canada with a smile and a wave. I am questioned and my documents are examined. So why are we bad people for asking that we take a 3 or 6-month breather and put a better system in place? And don't even get me started on Chuck Schumer...that man needs to go.