Which Religion Is Right?

• AutumnRose
  • AutumnRose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Posts 285

AutumnRose created the topic: Which Religion Is Right?

I grew up raised by a very religious Nazarene mother and a God-fearing, but not as strictly religious Baptist father. I have always believed in God and always felt close to Him. I pray and give thanks regularly and do my best not to break His commandments. However, I still have not found a religion that I feel fits me. I believe very close to many different ones, but I am not 100% in agreement with any of them. One question I have always wondered is how do you know which religion is right? How do you know for certain that the religion you follow is the one that will guarantee you make it to Heaven when your time on Earth ends?

• Posts 299

fireme replied the topic: Which Religion Is Right?

Following a religion won't get you into heaven. Religion is a man-made construct that was determined by the different beliefs and interpretations of people in different geographical areas of the world in different time frames and levels of understanding. Why people would base their current actions, feelings and perceptions of the afterlife on grounds as shaky as that is beyond me.

Do right by others. Do what you feel is right based on your intuitions. Keep it simple and keep it real. If God made everything, he made your intuitive capabilities, so go by that. You would be doing God's work, right?

• Posts 222

JoJo replied the topic: Which Religion Is Right?

I am not a religious person at all. I only believe in the fact that you have to be good to people and animals. The rest doesn't really matter to me.

• Posts 223

marcus replied the topic: Which Religion Is Right?

Matters to do with religion are very personal and I believe that it is important to treat everyone well. I see a lot of intolerance when it comes to beliefs but I believe that God intends that we should treat humanity with utmost respect in fear of HIM.

• Posts 142

Zara replied the topic: Which Religion Is Right?

For the past couple of decades of my life I experienced many different religions through my friends and family and I was in a position to decide which one worked best for me, and I decided that I was more 'spiritual' than religious and that I wanted to cut out the middle man. So now it's just me and God and my meditation...

• AutumnRose
  • AutumnRose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: Which Religion Is Right?

Zara, I have to agree with you. I mean if I feel my relationship with God is in a good place, who else has the right to say it's not because I do not go to a certain church or proclaim to follow a certain religion? I would never tell someone their faith or spirituality is not right. Unfortunately, I live in a small town in the middle of the Bible belt and those who claim to live their lives closest to God are often the most judgmental.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: Which Religion Is Right?

I don't feel that any one religion is right making the others wrong. Based on what I know from reading the Bible, your ticket to salvation rests in understanding we were born in sin, believing that Jesus died to save us from that, repenting, and being grateful for God's mercy. It sounds simple, but to believe/mean all of that wholeheartedly requires giving your life to Jesus. And none of that requires devoting yourself to a specific church.

I've lived in the Bible Belt and I know that judgement can be rampant there. It sounds to me like you're on a good path. Although it can be very difficult to disregard the opposing opinions of others, try not to let them get to you.

• Posts 62

EmmyG replied the topic: Which Religion Is Right?

I don't think that any one religion is right. I mean, if you look at the tenets of the major world religions, there is a lot of agreement amongst them about how to conduct oneself. For example, the Golden Rule is a theme that is carried through most organized religions. It is that belief that we should treat others the way we want to be treated. That is a universal belief.