Religion vs. Faith

• Posts 275

Perplexed created the topic: Religion vs. Faith

I consider myself to be a Christian. I don't believe in going around trying to twist peoples' arms to see my views. I consider "religion" a man made social institution that really offers me nothing as far as a deep spirituality in the following of Jesus Christ, it really leaves me empty. When I realize that when Christ walks along with us and is within us, it gives me an extremely powerful feeling of comfort and hope. No priest or minister can take the place of Him. My Faith leads me to talk with Him and know that I and my loved ones will be with Him some day. Amen.

• Posts 222

JoJo replied the topic: Religion vs. Faith

I am not a religious person at all, but I do believe in Karma and that we should do good things. Everyone has their own view when it comes to religion and I accept and respect it; as long as they don't try to make me see it "their way".

• Posts 285

AutumnRose replied the topic: Religion vs. Faith

I think religion, faith and spirituality are all different things. I think you must have faith to be religious, but you can have faith or spirituality without having religion. To me, religion is following a certain belief and there are many different church denominations to follow.
I am not religious by any means, even though I was raised by a very religious family. My grandfather was a Pilgrim Holiness minister for well over 60 years. I kind of grew up having religion forced down my throat and it was way more strict than I believe it should be.
I have a very close relationship with God and I have for most of my life. I made that commitment years ago. I give thanks to Him, pray to Him, ask for forgiveness from Him and I feel His spirit all around me. However, I do not feel I have to belong to a certain church or attend a certain church regularly to keep my relationship with God. I believe you can feel God anywhere you are as long as you are willing to open your heart and mind to Him.

• Posts 299

fireme replied the topic: Religion vs. Faith

Perplexed wrote: My Faith leads me to talk with Him and know that I and my loved ones will be with Him some day. Amen.

Amen.

Jesus Christ is a positive force as well as a wise one. Couple that with the wisdom's you find in other ancient cultures, some of which some people label as "dark", and you'll be a force to be reckoned with in the modern world.

• Posts 223

marcus replied the topic: Religion vs. Faith

Religiosity and faith confuse me at times but I think there is challenge in today's world in that there are those people who believe in something and hold the view that this belief should be universal. Since we exist both in the spiritual and physical form, it is a fact that we are spiritual. I am a Christian and believe in Christ. I pray and meditate from time to time but I think it would be wrong for me to treat other people as 'less spiritual' if they did not hold similar views.

• Posts 70

Mushroom replied the topic: Religion vs. Faith

Faith is something I consider more general than religions. I agree that you don't need a religion to be faithful. It's debatable that sometimes the faith is too strong that it blinds us. Generally speaking, though, it's based on our needs to be complete and that is not exactly wrong.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: Religion vs. Faith

marcus wrote: I am a Christian and believe in Christ. I pray and meditate from time to time but I think it would be wrong for me to treat other people as 'less spiritual' if they did not hold similar views.

That's an important point because a big factor of Jesus' ministry was for us not to judge and look down on people.

Spiritually, I am a Christian and I believe we were born in sin and that Jesus died to save us. My relationship with Him is one that needs to be nurtured and I pray daily. Doing good deeds is not enough; believing in Him and maintaining a gateway to communication with Him is where it's at for me.

Religiously, I am a Catholic and when I feel the need to be part of a congregation, I go to church, but I don't feel that congregational need every week. Some weeks I am perfectly happy to spend Sunday reading the Bible and praying with my family.

• Posts 150

Serene replied the topic: Religion vs. Faith

I am not a religious person either, but I do believe in certain things. I think my faith stems from my Native American ancestors and I've noticed that I really stop and take in nature that surrounds me. Their belief had a lot to do with appeasing the spirits and that is something that I truly believe in.

• Posts 142

Zara replied the topic: Religion vs. Faith

We all need something to believe in and I do believe that faith is the one true law of this world. It doesn't matter if you believe in God, god, divine oneness, yourself, ancestors, witch doctors, medical doctors, the Universe or even smurf fairies... The one common denominator there is Faith or Belief, so we are all basically after the same thing.