The history of religion

• Posts 223

marcus created the topic: The history of religion

I always wonder how religion came about. It would be interesting to go down the history lane and see how and where all these religions started from. Is there a book or site anyone of you can recommend? I'd like to be able to see if there is a relationship amongst all these beliefs.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: The history of religion

There is a new book out called Imperator, Deus written by John Prann, Jr. and it looks like it might be really interesting regarding Christianity. As I understand it, the book begins around 300 AD with Constantine the Great, so it's not going to take you back to the first pope and it's not going to give you a history of other religions, but it might be a good place to start.

• Posts 222

JoJo replied the topic: The history of religion

The question I would like to ask is more like "why" religions started, rather than how. It seems to me that religion has created more problems than it has helped people.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: The history of religion

JoJo wrote: The question I would like to ask is more like "why" religions started, rather than how. It seems to me that religion has created more problems than it has helped people.

My answer to this question is that since the beginning of time humans have needed something to worship, so the forming of different religions just gives that more of a structure with like-minded people. Personally, I am a Christian and I find the amount of different Christian religions interesting since Jesus was against organized religion to a certain extent.