Unity in diversity

• Posts 122

nick created the topic: Unity in diversity

I have realized that a lot of the time, people will always have differing opinions on various elements. Religion is one of these elements with a different set of beliefs coming every so often. How do you think we are faring, in terms of respect for each others' beliefs? Is there room for more tolerance?

• Posts 275

Perplexed replied the topic: Unity in diversity

I fear that we as humans accepting each others' views on things, my own opinion, of course, hasn't progressed very far in thousands of years. We're in the same theological spot, people of differing religions are still killing one another for their beliefs. So sad.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: Unity in diversity

I think the biggest problem is the people who think they can act as judge and jury instead of leaving it up to God. There are a lot of things people do and beliefs they have that I disagree with, but it isn't my place to sentence them.

• Posts 299

fireme replied the topic: Unity in diversity

Religions deal with perceived absolutes concerning life and soul. Religions were never structured to be tolerant of other religions that deal with life and soul as those other beliefs would infringe upon their tenants and make their religion obsolete. Therefore, the most ardent believers of these religions will not be tolerant either.

So no, there is no room for tolerance and that is by design.

• Posts 225

DeepSea replied the topic: Unity in diversity

fireme wrote: Religions deal with perceived absolutes concerning life and soul. Religions were never structured to be tolerant of other religions that deal with life and soul as those other beliefs would infringe upon their tenants and make their religion obsolete. Therefore, the most ardent believers of these religions will not be tolerant either.

So no, there is no room for tolerance and that is by design.

I can agree with this to a point, but I'd like to add that just because there's no room certain opposing beliefs within a religion, doesn't mean that we can't be tolerant of people who believe differently.

For example, Jesus said "Love thy neighbour", not "Love thy Christian (or in those times, Jewish) neighbour". He would've wanted us to show love and compassion for all people, regardless of their religious affiliation.

That being said, I don't think the world as a whole, is doing very well in respecting each other. There are examples of intolerant people in all religions, as well as people with no religion at all.