People who use activity trackers lose less weight?

• Posts 225

DeepSea created the topic: People who use activity trackers lose less weight?

Does anyone here own an activity or fitness tracker? I've never used one, and I don't know anyone who does, but I know they've been pretty popular for the past few years now.

Recently however, I read that researchers had discovered that people who use Fitbits and other similar devices, actually lose less weight than people who use traditional weight loss interventions.

Why do you think this is the case?

• Posts 223

marcus replied the topic: People who use activity trackers lose less weight?

I have never used or seen a fitness tracker before but I have also heard that there are fitness tracker apps that also work. I use the more traditional methods but from what I've heard, it is best to purchase a tracker that costs $50 or more.

• Posts 100

Chara replied the topic: People who use activity trackers lose less weight?

That's interesting Deepsea. Do you know where you found that article? I would like to read it. I have never used a tracking device but have often thought of getting one. One of my friends says hers works great.

• Posts 225

DeepSea replied the topic: People who use activity trackers lose less weight?

Chara wrote: That's interesting Deepsea. Do you know where you found that article? I would like to read it. I have never used a tracking device but have often thought of getting one. One of my friends says hers works great.

I've actually seen several articles about it. A quick Google search should bring up a few at least.
I guess they must work for some people, or perhaps your friend was just super active to begin with? I'm not sure.

• Posts 100

Chara replied the topic: People who use activity trackers lose less weight?

Thanks DeepSea. I did just that and read a few articles where people have actually gained weight after getting one of these devices. How in the world did that happen? I may have to rethink my desire to have one of these.

• Posts 61

SuddenlySarah replied the topic: People who use activity trackers lose less weight?

I don't use one, but I wonder what it is about them that makes people lose less weight when using one. I would think the opposite would hold true and it would motivate people to be more active. I'm going to have to search for some of those articles to get the scoop.