Veterinary physician

• Posts 70

Mushroom created the topic: Veterinary physician

I love animals and it's great to have them as pets, but I never really considered being a vet. It seems like there's just too much to learn. Is it actually much more fun than it looks like?

• Posts 142

Zara replied the topic: Veterinary physician

My mother was a huge fan of James Herriot, the country vet, and growing up I read all of his books and watched the whole series on TV. He painted a hilarious picture of life as a vet working with unpredictable animals. I think you would have enjoyed it.

• Posts 70

Mushroom replied the topic: Veterinary physician

Zara wrote: My mother was a huge fan of James Herriot, the country vet, and growing up I read all of his books and watched the whole series on TV. He painted a hilarious picture of life as a vet working with unpredictable animals. I think you would have enjoyed it.

To me, that's exactly what is scary about the job: the unpredictability. Unlike medical doctors who only study about humans, vets need to study about so many animals. Imagine all those knowledge jumbled up, especially if you're a fresh graduate. It leaves me an uncomfortable aftertaste.

• Posts 276

Snowy replied the topic: Veterinary physician

Well, most vets specialize in a certain type of animal. For example, I grew up on a horse farm and we had one vet for the horses (large animal) and another vet for the barn cats and dogs (small animal). My daughter wants to be a vet and I keep telling her that she really needs to apply herself in school because it's a tough profession.

• Posts 70

Mushroom replied the topic: Veterinary physician

Snowy wrote: Well, most vets specialize in a certain type of animal. For example, I grew up on a horse farm and we had one vet for the horses (large animal) and another vet for the barn cats and dogs (small animal). My daughter wants to be a vet and I keep telling her that she really needs to apply herself in school because it's a tough profession.

Could you choose your specialization early in the course? Based on my limited knowledge of the usual medical education system, you can only specialize after studying the general knowledge. That's why I thought vets have it harder than general practitioners.